The first General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) will be inaugurated on October 2, 2018 in Delhi. The Ministerial level Assembly will be held in Greater Noida the following day. The ISA is a major initiative of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in contributing to the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement through the rapid and massive deployment of solar energy. The Founding Conference of the ISA was jointly hosted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron in New Delhi on March 11, 2018.
1. The International Solar Alliance (ISA) on 6 December 2017 became a treaty-based international inter-governmental organisation following the ratification by Guinea on 6 November 2017.
2. The International Solar Alliance was launched jointly by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande on the first day of the COP-21 summit at Paris in 2015.
3. The International Solar Alliance aims to undertake joint efforts required to reduce the cost of finance and technology and mobilise more than USD 1000 billion of investments needed by 2030 for massive deployment of solar energy.
4. It is India’s first international and inter-governmental organisation of 121 Countries and has headquarters in India with United Nations as Strategic Partner.
5. It aims to create a collaborative platform for increased deployment of solar energy technologies to enhance energy security and sustainable development.
6. It will work with partner countries to formulate projects and programmes to accelerate the development of clean solar energy technologies.
7. Its governing structure consists of an Assembly, a Council and a Secretariat.