The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 6, 2018, approved the launching of National Mission on Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems (NM-ICPS). The mission will be launched by the Department of Science and Technology at an expected cost of Rs 3660 crore for a period of five years.
1. The NM-ICPS is a comprehensive mission that would address technology development, application development, human resource development and skill enhancement, entrepreneurship and start-up development in CPS and associated technologies.
2. The mission aims to establish 15 Technology Innovation Hubs (TIH), 6 Application Innovation Hubs (AIH) and 4 Technology Translation Research Parks (TTRP).
3. Further, these hubs and research parks will connect to academics, industry, central ministries and state government in developing solutions at reputed academic, research and development and other organizations across the country in a hub and spoke model.
4. For the same, a strategic approach involving a suitable mix of academic, industry and government has been proposed to be adopted.
5. The strong steering and monitoring mechanisms in the form of Mission Governing Board (MGB), Inter-Ministerial Coordination Committee (IMCC), Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) and other Sub-Committees will guide and monitor the mission implementation.