Chinese Consul-General in Kolkata, Ma Zhanwu on September 12, 2018, announced that China is looking forward to plan bullet trains from Kolkata to Kunming City of China. However, the Chinese diplomat did not reveal the details of the route. The train is expected to traverse through Myanmar and Bangladesh. The project was mentioned at the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) meet in Kunming in 2015.
1. The Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar Economic Corridor project, initiated by China, is projected to run through Mandalay in Myanmar, Chittagong and Dhaka in Bangladesh, terminating in Kolkata.
2. The 2800 kilometre rail route could be a critical component for the BCIM corridor that seeks cross-border trade and flow of people.
3. China has pledged USD 40 billion for this silk route, having a trade potential of USD 132 billion.
4. From Kolkata, the corridor will head towards Benapole, a border town in Bangladesh. After passing through Dhaka and Sylhet, it will re-enter the Indian Territory near Silchar in Assam.
5. The 2800 kilometre rail route could be a critical component for the BCIM corridor that seeks cross-border trade and flow of people.
6. In Myanmar, the corridor will pass through Lahiso and Muse prior to Mandalay.
7. The Chinese stretch extends from Ruili before reaching Kunming through Longling and Dali.