The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on January 14, 2019, to increase emphasis on multi-disciplinary research and development activities and nurturing innovations in agricultural biotechnology research and education.
The Department of Biotechnology has undertaken several activities and programs to promote Biotechnology Research & Development in the areas of agriculture biotechnology. On the other hand, the Indian Council of Agricultural Research has been coordinating, guiding and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries and animal sciences in the entire country.
1. The MoU has been signed for mutual collaboration to explore the possibility of cooperation, convergence, and synergy to promote and accelerate the progress of research and training in various disciplines of agricultural biotechnology between ICAR and DBT.
2. Under the agreement, five to ten focused programmes, both short, medium and long term will be developed and implemented.
3. The major facilities and technology platforms created by both the agencies will be accessible to the National systems and a joint working group will be constituted to take the partnership forward.
4. The collaboration also aims to promote agriculture innovations and start-ups, through the well established BIRAC mechanism.
5. This flagship synergistic approach would be taken-up in mission mode through networking with the elite institutions in the Country.