Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences and Environment, Forest and Climate change, Dr Harsh Vardhan on September 25, 2018, inaugurated air pollution control device WAYU (Wind Augmentation PurifYing Unit) for traffic junctions at ITO intersection and Mukarba Chowk in Delhi. By 15th of October, the ministry plans to install 54 more WAYU devices at various traffic intersections across Delhi.
1. WAYU is developed by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research –National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-NEERI) as a part of Technology Development Project being funded by the Department of Science and Technology.
2. The prototype device that has been indigenously developed has the capacity to purify the air in an area of the 500-meter square.
3. The device consumes only half a unit of electricity for 10 hours of running and has a maintenance cost of only Rs. 1500 per month.
4. According to the Union Minister, “We are in the process of developing a bigger version of WAYU which can purify the air in an area of the 10,000-meter square and also the designs of future WAYU devices will have even better aesthetics and can be deployed in bus shelters etc.”
5. The device has filters for Particulate Matter removal and activated carbon (charcoal) and UV lamps for poisonous gases removal such as VOCs and Carbon Monoxide. The device has one fan and filter for sucking and removing Particulate Matter.