The Election Commission of India (ECI) has organised a two-day “National Consultation on Accessible Elections,” from July 3, 2018 in New Delhi. The event will be inaugurated by Chief Election Commissioner OP Rawat, in the presence of Election Commissioners Sunil Arora and Ashok Lavasa. During the inaugural session, a dedicated portal for the ECI’s ‘Systematic Voters Education and Electoral Participation’ (SVEEP) initiative will be launched.
1. The ‘National Consultation on Accessible Elections’ will comprise three technical sessions over the course of the two days.
2. The event is the culmination of a nearly three-month-long series of district and state level consultations.
3. The best practices on ‘Accessible Elections’ that were practiced in six states during their last Assembly Elections will be shared in the meeting.
4. The meet is expected to contribute significantly to evolve a policy on ‘Accessible Elections’ that will help in making electoral processes more accessible in the upcoming elections.
5. It will witness participation from the Chief Electoral Officers of all states, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) working in the area of empowerment of the differently-abled and senior officials of the Union Ministries of Social Justice & Empowerment, Information & Broadcasting, Electronics and Information Technology, Youth Affairs and Sports, Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), Central Public Works Department and the National Literacy Mission Authority.