The name of former Supreme Court Judge Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose has been cleared by the Lokpal Selection Committee headed by the Prime Minister. The notification for the appointment is expected to be released soon. Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose would be the first Lokpal of India.
1. The Lokpal would consist of a chairperson and a maximum of eight members of which 50 percent shall be judicial members. 50 percent of members of Lokpal shall be from SC/ST/OBCs, minorities and women.
2. The Lokpal Act mandated the states to institute Lokayukta within one year of the commencement of the Act.
3. The Lokpal Act provides for setting up of an anti-corruption ombudsman called Lokpal at the Centre and Lokayukta at the State-level.
4. Lokpal will also have powers of superintendence and direction over any investigation agency including CBI for cases referred to them by the Lokpal.
5. The ambit of Lokpal would cover all categories of public servants, including the Prime Minister with the exception of armed forces.
The government has proposed an amendment to the Lokpal Act 2013 to enable the leader of the largest Opposition party to be the member of the selection panel in the absence of the leader of Opposition. To designate the leader as Leader of Opposition the largest opposition party must have a strength of at least 10% of the total members in the House and none of the parties managed to cross this mark in 2014 general elections.