Prime Minister Narendra Modi on September 7, 2018 unveiled a mobility road map that seeks investments in manufacturing electric vehicles and increased use of public transport for travel. PM Modi also announced that the government will soon come out with a policy on electric vehicles (e-vehicles) and Alternative Fuel Technology to give a boost to e-mobility in India.
PM Modi was speaking at the first Global Mobility Summit – ‘MOVE’, while addressing an audience of global business leaders including Suzuki Motor Chairman Osamu Suzuki; Toyota Motor Chairman Takeshi Uchiyamada, ABB Chief Executive Ulrich Spiesshofer; and Bosch’s Volkmar Denner. Mahindra & Mahindra Chairman Anand Mahindra, Hero MotoCorp Chairman Pawan Munjal and Bharat Forge Chairman Baba Kalyani were among the top Indian automobile industry leaders at the Summit.
1. PM Modi stressed that mobility is a key driver of the economy; better mobility reduces the burden of travel and transportation and can boost economic growth.
2. The Prime Minister pitched for investment in the manufacturing of electric vehicles and the required charging infrastructure.
3. He stated that the common public transport must be the cornerstone of mobility.
4. He urged people to use public transport rather than private cars to help achieve the goal of congestion-free mobility. Congestion-free mobility is critical to check economic and environmental costs.
5. He emphasised on increasing the use of public transport also to focus beyond cars to fight climate-related menace.
6. Clean mobility is the most powerful weapon to fight climate change. A pollution-free clean drive, leading to clean air and better living standards for people, is all that is required for clean mobility.