The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development have approved the projects worth Rs 2,919 crore under the Nirbhaya Fund for creating “safe cities”. Through this fund, the special focus will be given on women safety in public spaces and quick response systems to create deterrence against crime in these safe cities.
1. Dedicated women safety patrol vans with GPS tracking.
2. To enhance the safety of public places like roads, schools and metro etc., use of latest technology such as facial recognition analytics, video monitoring, and person tracking systems.
3. All the plans for safe cities have been prepared in coordination with municipal corporations and police commissioners of these cities.
4. A cybercrime and legal assistance compensation lab will also be set up.
5. Strengthen the “Police Didi” programme wherein female police officers interact with women living in slums.
6. It will enable GIS mapping of criminal hotspots, training of investigating officers and quick response police teams.
7. User trial of the panic button feature on mobile phones.