The Department of Science and Technology (DST) along with Doordarshan (DD), Prasar Bharati on January 15, 2019 launched two science communication initiatives -DD Science and India Science.
While inaugurating the two key initiatives, Union Science & Technology Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan said that it is a watershed moment not only in science and technology communication but also in developing the scientific temper of the society.
The minister, while recalling the role played by Doordarshan, India’s public service broadcaster, in the Pulse Polio campaign back in 1990s, said that the channel, which reaches out to more than 92 per cent of India’s population, would be a very impactful medium for popularisation of science. The Minister further, expressed hope that in the near future the country will see a 24 hour DD Science Channel.
1. The two science communication platforms are national-level initiatives to elevate science into a celebration and bring it close to everyday life.
2. They will have science-based documentaries, studio-based discussions, and virtual walkthroughs of scientific institutions, interviews and short films and will be completely free to access.
3. The DST and DD aim to make them jewels in the crown of the country for serving humanity for the furtherance of science.
4. The channels have been conceived and supported by the DST and are being implemented and managed by Vigyan Prasar, an autonomous organization of DST.
5. For the same, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Vigyan Prasar and Doordarshan.