The Student Police Cadet (SPC) Programme will be launched nationally on July 21, 2018, by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in the presence of the Union Human Resources Minister Prakash Javadekar and the Chief Minister of Haryana Manohar Lal.
The SPC programme seeks to build a bridge between the Police and the larger community through school students by inculcating values and ethics in them through classes in school and outside.
1. The programme will focus on students of class 8 and 9 and special care will be taken to ensure that it does not increase the workload of the students.
Under its schedule, only one class is proposed in a month.
2. The programme will not have any prescribed textbook and nor will it include an exam.
3. The Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) with the support of NCERT has prepared a handbook for imparting instructions.
4. It will also enable learning through group discussions and audio-visual mediums.
5. The programme would lay a greater emphasis on field demonstrations and hands-on learning of the functioning of the police through visits to women police stations, child protection homes including NGOs, traffic police, and fire brigade stations.