The Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar on January 7, 2019, approved an increase of 5000 seats in Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNV) for the Academic Year 2019-20.
The number of seats in JNVs, at present, total to around 46600. The addition of 5000 seats will mean availability of 51000 seats from AY 2019-20. The Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas are residential schools for talented rural children.
1. In the last four years, there had been an addition of 9000 seats and now with the addition of 5000 seats the total number of seats added to JNVs by the government in five years will be 14000 seats.
2. In the next four years, the government is likely to add 32000 more seats.
3. Navodaya is the only education system in the country where students give entrance examination for admission into Class 6.
4. In 2001, 5.50 lakh aspirants appeared for the entrance examination for Class 6. Over the years the number of aspirants appearing for the entrance examination has increased considerably.
5. For the 2019 entrance test, 31.10 lakh students have registered for the entrance examination.