Satya Pal Singh, Minister of State for Human Resource Development, launched two new initiatives, namely, the Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) and the Annual Refresher Programme In Teaching (ARPIT) on November 13, 2018. for higher education faculty.
While LEAP is a three weeks flagship leadership development training programme for second level academic functionaries in higher education institutions, ARPIT is a unique initiative of online professional development of 15 lakh higher education faculty.
1. Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) is a three weeks (2 weeks domestic and one-week foreign training) flagship leadership development training programme for second level academic functionaries in public funded higher education institutions.
2. LEAP will make Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) perform their roles of developing better students who will be future torchbearers.
3. The main objective is to prepare second-tier academic heads who are potentially likely to assume leadership roles in the future.
4. The course is a 40-hour module with 20 hours of video content and 20 hours of non-video content.
5. There are built-in assessment exercises and activities as part of the academic progression in the course.
6. At the end of the course, there will be a terminal assessment which can be either online or a written examination.
7. All faculties who have successfully completed the online refresher course will be certified.
8. The courses will remain open from November 1, 2018, to February 28, 2019.
9. All in-service teachers, irrespective of their subject and seniority are requested to register and complete these refresher courses which will help them in career advancement.
10. ARPIT will be an ongoing exercise so that every year NRCs will continuously develop new refresher module in their earmarked discipline each year.
11. The training materials will be uploaded and made available through SWAYAM.
12. NRC will publish the list of the faculty who have been certified.
13. The NRCs will revolutionise the professional development of faculty by catering to massive numbers by leveraging ICT and online technology platform of SWAYAM.