IDRC has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Government of India that enables Canada to continue supporting important research in India that addresses current and future global development challenges in areas including agriculture and environment, inclusive economies, and technology and innovation. IDRC has funded 551 research activities worth CA$159 million in India through institutions, researchers and NGOs.
1. IDRC has been active in India since 1972, and has had a regional office in New Delhi for the last 35 years.
2. Office currently oversees IDRC’s support to development researchers and institutions in 18 countries in the region.
3. The agreement was signed to usher the programme based research support in addressing current and future global and local developmental challenges.
4. During the signing ceremony, Indian side appreciated the contribution of IDRC in supporting quality research in various fields including finance, agriculture, industry and health in India.
5. The last five years (2012-17), 96 research projects worth CAD 51 million were funded by the IDRC in India.