Indian missions across the world would soon issue passports in less than 48 hours to citizens abroad. The information was shared by Minister of State for External Affairs V K Singh while addressing a gathering after launching the ‘Passport Seva’ project at the Indian Embassy in New Delhi on November 24, 2018.
Singh said that the passport offices at Indian missions have been digitally linked with the data centre in India, which would speed up the process of issuing passport.
1. Earlier this week, the Indian mission at New York had issued passports in less than 48 hours. The same will soon start happening across the world.
2. The ‘Passport Seva’ project was first launched in the United Kingdom in October 2018. In the United States, the project was first rolled out in New York on November 21, followed by Washington on November 24.
3. The project would be subsequently launched in Indian Consulates at Atlanta, Houston, Chicago and San Francisco.
4. Lately, there has been a major simplification of rules and regulations for passport applicants. In fact, verification of a lot of information of the applicants would now be done digitally.
5. Following this, the project would be extended to all the Indian missions across the globe