Indian Railways on August 30, 2018, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Gail (India) Limited to provide infrastructure facilities for supply of Natural Gas to Indian Railways Workshops, Production Units and Depots. The MoU was signed by Chetram, CAO of the Indian Railway Organization for Alternate Fuels (IROAF) on and Gajendra Singh, Director (Marketing) of GAIL (India) Limited.
Key Highlights of the MoU:-
1. This MoU is an in-principle agreement between GAIL and Indian Railways for the creation of infrastructure and supply of CNG, LNG and PNG for both industrial and domestic purposes.
2. All 23 workshops will start using Natural Gas by December 31, 2018, and all 54 workshops and production units will be covered by June 30, 2019.
3. The MoU aims to replace industrial gases like Dissolved Acetylene, LPG, BMCG and Furnace Oil, High-Speed Diesel (HSD) oil with environment-friendly Natural Gas.
4. All railway establishments, including base kitchens of IRCTC, all guest houses and hostels and Railway divisions will start using Natural Gas by June 30, 2019.
5. Out of 54 workshops and production units, 23 workshops have been identified in the first phase for replacement of Industrial Gases with Natural Gas.
6. In domestic segment, about 1100 houses have been provided with D-PNG supply in Railway colony of Bhubaneswar.