‘Train 18’, India’s first engine-less speed train, was rolled out on October 29, 2018 by Railway Board Chairman Ashwani Lohani at the Chennai’s Integral Coach Factory (ICF). Touted as the Next Generation Shatabdi Express, this is the first long-distance train without separate locomotive (engine).
The train was unveiled for three to four days trial outside the Coach Factory’s premises. After successful trials, the train will be handed over to Research Design and Standards Organisation (RDSO) for further trials. The Train 18 will be tested at a speed of 180 km per hour. It features a stainless steel body, with full scape windows and driver’s cabin at both ends of the train.
10 interesting facts about Train 18:-
1. Train 18 is driven by a self-propulsion module without a separate locomotive.
2. It is capable of running at a speed of up to 160 kmph. It will cut travel time by 15 percent compared to the Shatabdi Express.
3. The superior 16-coach model of the train has been developed by the Chennai-based Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in time span of just 18 months. Passengers can have a look at the driver’s cabin.
4. It took an investment of nearly Rs 100 crore to build this prototype and the subsequent production would bring down the cost.
5. It will be fully air-conditioned train.
6. The train is equipped with CCTV cameras.
7. It has two executive compartments in the middle with 52 seats each and the trailer coaches would have 78 seats each.
8. Train 18 has soft lighting, automatic doors, footsteps and GPS-based Passenger Information System.
9. The footstep in a coach’s doorway slides outward when the train stops at a station enabling passengers to board or deboard safely with comfort.
10. Train 18 is regarded as a successor to the 30-year-old Shatabdi Express. Shatabdi was introduced in 1988 and is presently running on over 20 routes connecting metros with other important cities.