The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on September 6, 2017, unveiled the space suit and crew model for Gaganyaan Mission, providing the first sneak peek into its upcoming manned mission to space at the 6th Bengaluru Space Expo.
The Gaganyaan mission was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his 72nd Independence Day speech. PM Modi announced that this manned space mission will take Indian astronauts to space on board ‘Gaganyaan’ by 2022.
Highlights of the Space Suit:-
1. The orange-coloured prototype space suit was developed by the ISRO over the past two years at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre in Thiruvananthapuram.
2. The suit can hold one oxygen cylinder, allowing an astronaut to breathe in space for 60 minutes.
3. ISRO has developed two suits and will create one more suit as three astronauts will be part of mission to send Indians into space on an Indian spacecraft by 2022.
1. ISRO also displayed the crew model and the crew escape model. A prototype crew model has already been tested by the ISRO.
2. In the crew model capsule, the three astronauts will be living for five to seven days in a 400 km orbit from the Earth’s surface.
3. The capsule will have a thermal shield and it will turn into a ball of flame, travelling towards the Earth when they re-enter the atmosphere.
4. The shield will ensure that the temperature inside the capsule is 25 degrees, but the astronauts can see the flames just through the window.