US private space firm SpaceX on September 17, 2018, signed the world’s first private passenger to fly around the Moon aboard its Big Falcon Rocket (BFR) launch vehicle. However, the company declined to reveal the amount Maezawa paid for the mission but confirmed that he is paying a very significant amount of money.
Japanese billionaire and founder of online fashion giant Zozo, Yusaku Maezawa will be the first Moon tourist on SpaceX’s Lunar BFR Mission. Maezawa wants to take six to eight artists from around the world on the nearly week-long trip to the Moon.
1. Earlier in February 2017, the SpaceX had announced that two passengers would be flying around the Moon in the Crew Dragon Capsule, launched by SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket. However later at the beginning of 2018, Musk said SpaceX is considering using the Big Falcon Rocket instead.
2. The BFR was first announced in 2016 and was touted as the most powerful rocket in history, even more, potent than the Saturn V Moon rocket that launched the Apollo missions five decades ago.
3. The Big Falcon Rocket is a massive, 35-story tall rocket designed to launch and land like SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket, but could carry dozens of people on board instead of just satellites.
4. BFR is the dream mission of SpaceX CEO Elon Musk who launched the construction of the vehicle with a vision to create a permanent, self-sustaining human presence on Mars.
5. The testing on this massive rocket is expected to begin in 2019.
6. The mission is expected to launch in 2023.