Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) launched a lightweight bulletproof jacket Bhabha Kavach, which was especially for the Paramilitary Forces and Indian armed forces. It was launched at International Police Expo 2019 held at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
About Bhabha Kavach:
♦ The lightweight bulletproof jacket was indigenously developed by Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) and Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI).
♦ The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre’s (BARC) carbon nanomaterial was sprayed on the hard armor plate.
♦ It provides the toughness and tenacity that is needed to slow down and trap a bullet as it passes through the plate.
♦ It has been built from layers of high-density, high-tenacity polyethylene.
♦ It has a warranty of 5 years with a protection level of NIJ III+ (National Institute of Justice (NIJ) Ballistic Levels Protection Level III).
1. Bhabha Kavach jacket that can withstand 7.62mm hard steel core or bullets fired from an AK-47 rifle, 5.56mm INSAS (Indian Small Arms System) bullet.
2. It can even withstand recently 7.65mm bullet of self-loading rifle which was decommissioned recently.
3. It has four hard armor plates that offer 360 Degree Protection to wearer from the front, back and either side.
4. The jacket weight 9.2Kg, which was half Kilogram lesser than the prescribed weight of MHA.
5. The weight Indian Defense forces which will be a great piece of equipment for India’s paramilitary forces and state police forces operating in Naxalite areas.
6. The weight makes the jacket now available for Indian Defense forces and India’s paramilitary forces and state police forces operating in Naxalite areas.