The Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on 13 June 2017 announced they will upgrade 40,000 coaches under its Mission Retro-fitment in the next five years to enhance the passengers’ travel experience, with better amenities and safety.
It is one of the largest Retro-fitment projects in the world
1.Indian Railways’ 40,000 coaches will be refurbished and retrofitted in the next five years.
2.By 2020, Indian Railways would provide a new travel experience to its passengers.
3.It will be carried out without affecting the traffic operation.
4.RSP sanction for refurbishing of 6,700 coaches are already available.
24 coaches already retrofitted have been running in Train No.15120/19 Manduadih – Rameswaram Express since 23.04.2017
1. Currently, over 80 per cent coaches in service are old.
2. The existing old coaches will be modified to improve total travel experience of the passengers.
3. Production of new coaches have been stopped.
Facilities provided in refurbished coaches.
1. World Class Ambience: The refurbished coaches will have panels with LED lights,
2. Fire and smoke detection system, rounded edges for preventing injury, double acting compartment door in AC coaches.
3. Bio-toilets which are Environment-Friendly
4. Passenger information System such destination alarm.