Miss Philippines Catriona Gray has crowned Miss Universe after she won the final round of the Miss Universe 2018 pageant, held in Bangkok, Thailand on December 17, 2018. Outgoing Miss Universe Demi Leigh Nel Peters from South Africa crowned her successor.
Miss Philippines made it to the Top 5 along with Miss Puerto Rico, Vietnam, Philippines, South Africa and Venezuela. The top five were then asked questions that were crafted by fellow contestants and had to answer it in 30 seconds or less. This determined the Top 3.
The final three contestants included Miss Philippines, South Africa and Venezuela. During the final round, each contestant was asked the same question. While one was asked the question, the other two were required to wear headphones to keep them from listening to the question and answer.
1. Catriona Gray won the 2018 Miss Universe pageant, beating 93 other women representing their countries.
2. With her win, Gray became the fourth contestant from the Philippines to win Miss Universe in almost 50 years. She joins Pia Wurtzbach (2015), Margarita Moran (1973) and Gloria Diaz (1969) in the feat.
3. Pia Wurtzbach had last won the Miss Universe crown for the Philippines in 2015 and the succeeding edition was hosted in Manila.
4. Gray won the crown while wearing a gorgeous red gown that had been designed by Filipino fashion designer Mak Tumang.
5. Tamaryn Green of South Africa was first runner-up followed by Miss Venezuela Sthefany Gutiérrez, who was the second runner-up of Miss Universe 2018.
6. This year’s pageant was applauded for its inclusivity and diverse competition. Miss Spain Angela Ponce made history as the pageant’s first openly transgender contestant and Rosa Montezuma became Panama’s first indigenous Miss Universe contestant.