Dr.NR Madhava Menon an educationist, scholar, and pioneer of Indian legal education, dies in Thiruvananthapuram at 84 years of age.
About Dr.NR Madhava Menon-
1. He is considered as ‘Father of Modern Legal Education’, for changing the face of Indian legal education.
2. He was founder director of National Law School of India University (NLSIU), founded in 1987 in Bangalore. He also headed it for 12 years.
3. He was honored by Padma Shri (India’s fourth highest civilian award), in 2003 for his outstanding contribution to public services.
4. In 1994, he was conferred ‘Living Legend of Law Award’ by the International Bar Association.
5. He also received ‘Rotary Club Award’ for Vocational Excellence and the Plaque of Honour from Bar Council of India.
6. Later, he presided as founder director of National Judicial Academy (NJA), Bhopal, till his retirement in 2006.
7. In 1998 he established West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (NUJS).