The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi inaugurated the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas on January 22, 2019, in his parliamentary constituency, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. In the history of Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas, the event is being held for the first time in Varanasi, the cultural and spiritual capital of India.
For the first time, the three-day-long Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas convention is being organized from January 21 to 23 instead of January 9 to 11 to allow the NRIs to visit the Kumbh Mela in Prayagraj and attend the Republic Day parade in New Delhi.
The convention was inaugurated in the presence of Mauritian Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth, the Chief Guest of the event. Around 6,000 non-resident Indians (NRIs) are expected to take part in the three-day event. The 15th edition of the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD) began formally on January 21, 2019.
1. The Youth Pravasi Bhartiya Divas and Uttar Pradesh Pravasi Bhartiya Divas were held on the opening day itself that is on January 21, 2019. The young diaspora engaged with its counterparts back home in India.
2. Information and Broadcasting Minister, Rajyavardhan Rathore inaugurated several exhibitions including a digital exhibition on the theme of ‘Ek Bharat Swacch Bharat: Sardar Patel and Gandhi like Sapno ka Bharat’, intended towards the PBD.
3. The event is jointly organized by the Union Ministry of External Affairs in association with the Uttar Pradesh government.
4. The Nodal Officer of the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is Deepak Agrawal, Commissioner of Varanasi Division.
5. The main convention center of PBD 2019 is the Deen Dayal Trade Facilitation Centre at Bada Lalpur, Varanasi. The entire campus has been decorated with the theme of ‘Kashi Culture’ depicting famous ghats, temples and the ethos of the most ancient living city.
6. The valedictory address and Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards will be given away by the President Ram Nath Kovind on January 23, 2019.