On the occasion of the National Panchayati Raj Day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 24, 2018 launched the Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan Scheme to strengthen the panchayat system and tackle the gaps that hinder its success. PM Modi launched the scheme during his visit to Madhya Pradesh to meet and address panchayat bodies as well as independent communities. He acknowledged the Sarpanches of villages which have achieved 100 percent smokeless kitchens, 100 percent vaccination under Mission Indradhanush, and 100 percent electrification under Saubhagya Scheme.
1. The restructured Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan scheme will have both Central and State Component.
2. The Central Component will be fully funded by the Union Government. However, for all states, centre and states will together provide the funds in the ratio of 60:40, except the North East and Hill States where Centre:State funding pattern will be 90:10.
3. The Central component includes national level activities such as ‘National Plan of Technical Assistance’, ‘Mission Mode project on e-Panchayat’, ‘Incentivisation of Panchayats’; while the State component includes ‘Capacity Building of Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs)’.
4. The scheme will be implemented with the main aim of achieving the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with main thrust on Panchayats identified under Mission Antyodaya and 115 Aspirational districts as identified by NITI Aayog.
5. The State Governments will formulate the Annual Action Plans for seeking assistance from the Central Government.