Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the world’s tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on October 31, 2018. The Statue of Unity is being built at the cost of about Rs 2400 crore.
Named as the ‘Statue of Unity’, the statue is currently under construction on Sadhubet island at Sardar Sarovar Dam near Kevadia Colony in Bharuch district, Gujarat. The statue will highlight the works of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, popularly known as the ‘Ironman of India’.
The foundation stone of the Statue of Unity was laid down by the Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on October 31, 2014, on the occasion of Sardar Patel’s 139th birth anniversary. The construction work of the project was awarded to leading engineering company, Larsen and Toubro.
About Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
1. Born on October 31, 1875, Sardar Patel was a lawyer by profession.
2. He was one of the founding fathers of the Republic of India and the architect of modern political India.
3. Popularly known as the Iron Man, Patel was addressed as ‘Sardar’, which means Chief or leader.
4. In 1946, during Congress elections, thirteen out of sixteen states chose Sardar Patel as their president, who was the more popular candidate for the first Prime Minister of independent India than Jawaharlal Nehru. However, upon Mahatma Gandhi’s behest, he stepped down as a candidate and endorsed Jawaharlal Nehru instead.
5, Eventually, Sardar Patel became the first deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister of India in 1947.
6. He is acknowledged for the political integration of over 500 princely states into the independent Indian Union. He united 565 princely states to be part of India.
7. In 1991, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel awarded the Bharat Ratna posthumously.
8. The ‘National Unity Day’ or Rashtriya Ekta Diwas commemorates Sardar Patel every year on 31 October.