PV Sindhu, the 2016 Rio Olympic silver medallist, created history on 16th December 2018 as she became the first Indian to win the BWF World Tour Finals. She defeated Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara, the 2017 world champion, by 21-19 21-17 in the final match that lasted for an hour and two minutes. Earlier, Sindhu defeated Ratchanok by 21-16, 25-23 in the semi-finals to enter the finals of the season-ending BWF World Tour tournament.
1. The BWF World Tour Finals is an annual badminton competition that takes place at the end of every year. The badminton players having most points from all the events of the BWF World Tour in that calendar year compete with each other in this tournament.
2. In the Women’s Doubles final match, Misaki Matsutomo & Ayaka Takahashi (Japan) defeated Lee So-hee & Shin Seung-chan (South Korea) by 21-12, 22-20.
3. Shi Yuqi of China won the Men’s Singles title defeating Kento Momota of Japan by 21-12, 21-11.
4. Li Junhui & Liu Yuchen (China) beat Hiroyuki Endo & Yuta Watanabe by 21-15, 21-11 to win the Men’s Doubles title final match.
5. Wang Yilü & Huang Dongping (China) defeated Zheng Siwei & Huang Yaqiong (China)by 23-21, 16-21, 21-18 to win Mixed Doubles final match.
This win was Sindhu’s 14th title in her career but it was the first title for her in 2018. P V Sindhu won the silver medal at the World Championships 2018, Thailand Open 2018, Asian Games 2018, Commonwealth Games 2018 and India Open held this year.