The Indian Railways announced on December 27, 2018, that it has decided to grant 40-per-cent concession in passenger fares to transgender senior citizens. The concession will be applicable to those of the third gender, who are aged 60 years or above. It will be available from January 1, 2019.
1. The Indian Railways offers concessions on ticket prices to 53 different categories, ranging from 10-100 per cent.
2. The railways grant 40 per cent concession in fares to men aged 60 years or above and 50 per cent concession in fares to women aged 58 years or above.
3. The students going to their hometown or educational tours can avail a concession of 50 per cent in fares for the second and sleeper class, while students belonging to the Scheduled Tribe community can avail a concession of 75 per cent.
4. Similarly, government school students in rural areas are eligible to get a concession of 75 per cent in second class for a study tour or an entrance examination once a year.
5. Those appearing for UPSC and Central Staff Selection Commission can also avail a concession of 50 per cent on the fares.
6. Industrial labours and farmers, who wish to visit agricultural exhibitions, can also avail a 25-per-cent concession on second-class and sleeper-class tickets.
7. In addition, foreign students studying in India are also eligible for a 50-per-cent concession in the second and sleeper class.
8. Apart from these, senior citizens, who book their railway tickets online, now have the option to choose between 100-per-cent concession, 50-per-cent concession and no concession.
9. Though a column for transgender (T) was introduced in the reservation form, the concession was not admissible to them.