Rajasthan Government on July 27, 2018 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with a private trust Sohanlalji Buladeviji Ojha Gaushala Samiti to build its first ‘Cow Sanctuary’, a shelter for 10000 cows. The cow sanctuary will be spread over an area of more than 220 hectares in Bikaner district.
1. This will be the first cow sanctuary in Rajasthan and will be situated in Bikaner’s Napasar.
2. The cows which will be kept at the sanctuary would primarily be the animals which are abandoned by their owners after they stop producing milk and become stray animals.
3. The objective behind this initiative is to dedicate the entire area for cows, much on the lines of a wildlife sanctuary.
4. The sanctuary will gradually be developed as a tourist destination.
5. The Sohanlalji Buladeviji Ojha Gaushala Samiti will be managing the sanctuary.
6. Animals rescued from cattle smugglers will find shelter in this cow sanctuary.