India observed Rashtriya Ekta Diwas, also known as National Unity Day, on October 31, 2018 to commemorate the 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the Iron Man of India. On this occasion, Home Minister Rajnath Singh flagged off the ‘Run for Unity’ from Major Dhyanchand Stadium. He also administered unity pledge to the participants.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated world’s tallest ‘Statue of Unity’ to the nation at Kevadiya in Narmada district of Gujarat. The Prime Minister also unveiled the ‘Wall of Unity’, a wall created with the earth samples collected from various states across the country.
1. The Central Armed Police Forces actively participated in State-level and other field level functions and organised March pasts.
2. The Surya Kiran of the Air Force performed aerobatics in the sky over the statue while spreading the colours of the Indian flag in the sky.
3. A team of Jaguar fighter aircraft also flew, and a team of MI-17 choppers showered rose petals on the statue.
4. The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting telecasted the film ‘Sardar’ on Doordarshan, play radio and TV jingles.
5. The Ministry of Railways organised pledge and March Past at its Zonal and Divisional Headquarters.
6. Under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, various events such as Run for Unity, pledge, floral tribute, competitions involving all citizens of Tier-I and Tier-II cities including SMART and AMRUT cities and towns were organised.