The South Korean Tech Giant, Samsung Electronics Co unveiled the world’s highest-resolution image sensor, with 64 megapixels for smartphones. This is a step to meet the increasing demand for mobile devices with better image quality.
Apart from Smart Phones, Vehicle components are next market for image sensors, ranging from parking assistant system to autonomous driving (self-driving cars).
1. Samsung expanded its 0.8-micrometer pixel image sensor (smallest pixel size currently available in the global market) lineup by introducing two new 0.8-micrometer pixel image sensors:-
– 64-megapixel ISOCELL Bright GW1 (for advanced handsets).
– 48-megapixel ISOCELL Bright GM2 (for flagship phones).
2. The image sensor market is expected to grow exponentially by 2030 in line with advancements in about to be introduced 5G technologies and artificial intelligence (AI).
3. The two image sensors are currently being sampled and its mass production will soon start in second half of 2019.
In Global market share of Image Sensor shipments, Japan’s Sony company accounted for 26.1% of the global market in 2018, followed by Samsung’s 23.2%.