Sonam Kapoor, a vegan, has been named People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India’s Person of the Year for 2018. “Whether she’s enjoying vibrant vegan meals or rallying her fans to do their part to stop animal suffering, Sonam Kapoor never hesitates to help animals any way she can,” said PETA India Associate Director Sachin Bangera in a statement.
1. Sonam Kapoor has been known to be an advocate for animal rights. She is a vegan herself and keeps animal skin out of her handbag line for her fashion brand Reason, apart from taking other action for the welfare of animals.
2. In 2016, the actress was named PETA India’s Hottest Vegetarian Celebrity and she earned a Compassionate Business Award from the group a year later for her cruelty-free handbag line.
3. Her past animal advocacy efforts include urging the Minister of Environment, Forests and Climate Change not to revoke the ban on classroom dissection for university life science and zoology students.
4. She had also been at the forefront to call for a Maharashtra-wide ban on the glass-coated manja, which harms and kills birds as they get entangled in it.
5. She had also donated “kind kites” to children to help prevent injuries from manja.
6. In addition, she frequently speaks out for animals on social media.