Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu on May 16, 2018 launched the Intellectual Property (IP) mascot ‘IP Nani’. The mascot was launched during a conference on the National Intellectual Property Rights Policy in New Delhi. On the same occasion, an anti-piracy video featuring the Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan was also launched.
Considering that the Intellectual Property Rights (lPRs) are increasingly becoming the crucial drivers of social and economic growth, the Union Cabinet approved the National IPR Policy on May 12, 2016. The first and foremost objective of the Policy is “IPR Awareness: Outreach and Promotion”, aimed at raising awareness on IPR for school children to nurture creativity and the ability to innovate from a very young age.
Seven objectives of National IPR Policy:-
1. IPR Awareness: Outreach and Promotion – To create public awareness about the economic, social and cultural benefits of IPRs among all sections of society.
2. Generation of IPRs – To stimulate the generation of IPRs.
3. Legal and Legislative Framework – To have strong and effective IPR laws, which balance the interests of rights owners with larger public interest.
4. Administration and Management – To modernize and strengthen service-oriented IPR administration.
5. Commercialization of IPRs – Get value for IPRs through commercialisation.
6. Enforcement and Adjudication – To strengthen the enforcement and adjudicatory mechanisms for combating IPR infringements.
7. Human Capital Development – To strengthen and expand human resources, institutions and capacities for teaching, training, research and skill building in IPRs.