The Union Road Transport and Highways Ministry on December 18, 2018, asked states to facilitate acceptance of driving licence and other documents such as vehicle registration certificates in electronic format by enforcement agencies.
The Ministry, while issuing a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) to states, said that the vehicle owners can also show their documents including driving licence, RCs and insurance certificates through mobile apps like Digilocker and mParivahan app.
1. The vehicle owners have been permitted to present their important documents such as the certificate of registration, insurance, fitness and permit, driving licence, the certificate for pollution under check and any other relevant documents in electronic format
2. With this, the vehicle owners may now, not be required to carry the documents in hard formats.
3. People can produce the documents or other information either through the Digilocker app or the mParivahan app.
4. They can download the Driving Licence or the Registration Certificate through these apps and store on their mobile devices.
5. They can also show particulars relating to the Driving Licence or the RC through the mParivahan app on mobile through internet connectivity.
6. The enforcement agencies can also carry out complete challenging operation including tagging of the Driving Licence or the Certificate of Registration for impounding or suspension.
7. The decision would enable the enforcement agencies like traffic and transport departments to simultaneously access the details from the eChallan app, which has data for online verification of vehicle and its licence status.
8. The off-line verification of mParivahan QR Code is also available on the platform. The enforcement agencies can use regular android mobile apps for the purpose.