The United Kingdom has been ranked at the top in the 2018 ‘Soft Power 30′ index, which was published last week by the UK-based strategic communications consultancy firm Portland and the University of Southern California Center on Public Diplomacy.
1. In the fourth edition of the annual Soft Power 30 Index, the United Kingdom narrowly beat France to regain the top spot in 2018, a position it last held in 2015.
2. Japan, on the other hand, became the only country to have moved up the rankings each consecutive year from 2015 to 2018.
3. With this, while the United Kingdom returned to form, there was a further decline in the American soft power with the US falling from third to fourth place.
4. While India does not figure on the list, this year’s report featured a chapter dedicated solely to the rising soft power in Asia, which listed 10 countries in the region, among which India’s soft power was ranked at the eighth position.
5. It is also the only Asian country to break into the top five as well as the top ten.