The Union Ministry of Power on September 14, 2018, launched the Chiller Star Labelling Program, an ambitious program to encourage the deployment of energy efficient chiller systems in the country. Initially, the program is launched on a voluntary basis and will be valid up to December 31, 2020.
1. The Chiller Star Labelling Program envisages providing star rating in terms of its energy performance.
2. The program has been formulated by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
3. BEE has developed an online registration platform for easy and expeditious approval under this initiative.
4. The chillers manufacturers will be able to register online for availing appropriate star rating of chiller equipment.
5. The star label (1 to 5) will be awarded, with 5 stars being the most efficient chillers, based on the test certificate from designated agencies and after due verification from BEE.
6. Through the chiller star labelling Program, it is estimated that more than 500 million units of electricity would be saved in 2019 along with Green House Gases (GHG) reduction of 0.5 million-ton equivalent of CO2.
7. It will also save more than 4 billion units of electricity by the year 2030 with CO2 emission reduction of 3.5 million ton.