Indian skipper Virat Kohli on January 22, 2019, became the first cricketer to win all the top three ICC individual awards including the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year, the ICC Men’s Test Player of the Year and the ICC ODI Player of the Year for his performances in 2018.
The Indian captain, who recently led India to its historic series win down under, was also named the captain of the ICC Test Team and the ODI Team of the year 2018, the line-ups of which were dominated by Indian players.
1. Kohli, who accumulated a total of 1322 runs from 13 Tests, 1202 from 14 ODIs and 211 from 10 T20Is, became the first player to win all three awards together.
2. Besides, Indian wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant claimed the ICC’s Emerging Cricketer of the Year award.
3. On the other hand, the ICC Test team of the year featured three players each from India and New Zealand. The Indian players included in the ICC test team included Rishabh Pant, Jasprit Bumrah and Virat Kohli.
4. This is the second consecutive time that he has won the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year. This was also his second successive ODI Player of the Year award.
5. Further, players from India and England, which are the top-ranked ODI sides, dominated the ICC Men’s ODI Team rankings, as with four players each, they made up more than two-thirds of the ODI Team of the Year 2018.
6. Besides Kohli, fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah was the only player to be named in both Test and ODI sides. The other two Indians in the ICC ODI team of the year included opener Rohit Sharma and spinner Kuldeep Yadav.